Friday, June 28, 2013

Kiss, Break Up, Kiss

Konbawa~
Sakisasa and Hatori when they first met
in elementary school
The heat is killing me. I’ve lived in Los Angeles my whole life yet I still can’t tolerate this heat! I really don’t understand how I’ve survived so many summers. Well before I possibly die, I’ll review Kiss, Zekkou, Kiss by Fuijiwara Yoshiko. It’s one volume, the prequel to Fuijiwara-sensei’s 10 volume series Kiss, Zekkou, Kiss Koura no Baai. The art is unique but not very impressive, the standard often falling and becoming below average. Sometimes the writing is confusing and the story often doesn’t flow, but this story has a charm and is just so lovable:
Sakisasa and Hatori met in elementary school, Sakisasa ignoring him and not wanting to admit her developing crush on him and Hatori acting loud and outlandish to grab her attention. When they finally do talk, Hatori lets his emotions get the best of him and hurts her. The time skips to middle school, Sakisasa still trying to avoid Hatori and her feelings because she feels someone like her doesn’t suite him. Hatori, despite being popular, only cares about Sakisasa noticing him, but doesn’t want to cause her trouble or hurt her again; he worries that she hates him so much that it’s impossible to even become her friend. Basically, both of them are lovesick idiots who believe that it’s impossible for the other to love them as much as they love them. And misunderstanding and insecurity wreck havoc on their relationship.
Their love is quite captivating, and though in reality two people who don’t talk much shouldn’t be so painfully in love with each other, it fits the idea of the red-string of fate I mentioned in my last post very well. Now one thing that sets this series part from others is that the story is told twice, once from Sakisasa perspective and once more Hatori’s perspective, so you understand what each of them is thinking, feeling, and experiencing very well. It also helps clear up some confuse, at least it did for me. Sometimes I wondered what the hell Hatori was doing, but when I read from his point of view everything made perfect sense. Speaking of Hatori, I really love his character, he’s often dishonest, can’t say what he really wants too, and uses violence, but he’s also a very kind and cheerful boy and he’s love for Sakisasa can’t doubted. Expect by Sakisasa of course. She’s very insecure about herself when it comes to Hatori; every other time she’s a quiet, mature, composed, and talented honor student. It’s only when it comes to her love that she belittles herself and becomes timid. Hatori’s the same way though, his usual confidence fading when it comes to Sakisasa. They really are lovesick
Since their first meeting, they haven't stopped
thinking about each otehr
idiots, overjoyed when they realize their feelings are mutual. It’s a short story, only 4 chapters long; the art isn’t amazing but the story is great. There’s also a cute oneshot at the end about a girl rather similar to Sakisasa. That’s the only that really bothers me about this author, all her couples are particularly the same: a calm, rather shy female lead and a happy-go-lucky male lead that’s desperately in love with her. I don’t really care for these copies of Hatori and Sakisasa, but I love the couple in this extra. That’s all for now, bye-bye

~Nadeshiko-chan

No comments:

Post a Comment